Friday, 11 April 2014

I Had Surgery - Teeth Part 1

This little post right here is definitely a little snippet-of-my-life post, the last week has been pretty tough going, and I have really missed my little blog a hell of a lot!

Ever since I can remember I have had overcrowded teeth - my teeth are all wonky and there are too many of them. I've always been very self conscious of them, to the point where I will never smile with my teeth and always make an extra effort to hide them. Last year I went to a private dentist just to get a check up, and through X-rays they found that I have a tooth stuck in my gum which never made an appearance. They refereed me to an orthodontist, and within a few months I had various hospital appointments and a letter confirming that the NHS would pay for the tooth to be removed. The work being done was not only cosmetic - there was a good chance that in the future the stuck tooth would move and push out the rest of my font teeth. I knew that I never wanted to get to that situation. 

When I discovered that I would need to have seven teeth removed through surgery, I was very scared. I put it off for as long as I possibly could but i knew that I wanted to get it done before entering full time work, and the NHS would only hold the funding for so long too. I didn't want to do it. I knew that I would be mad not to, so I did it anyway despite being so scared. It was a big and brave decision, and a horrible one to make. I talked it through with many people, and everyone said the same thing - go for it now, while you can. There was a possibility of waiting a number of years and then getting it done privately, but I was told by the hospital that it would cost tens of thousands of pounds.

After getting my surgery date through I was actually okay. Anxiety was creeping around me, but I was able to keep my mind off of it until about two days before when I went into full-scale anxiety mode. I still managed to keep a level head, somehow.

On the day I arrived at the hospital about 11:30am. I was near to tears most of the day, but Jack was a complete and utter angel and kept me calm and as happy as I could be. It was horrible hearing people in pain around me, there was one women in particular who woke up from her surgery in so much pain and she was just yelping and crying from the bed across from me. Not really what I wanted to hear! I was called in at 3:00pm and I pretty much just cried straight away because I was so scared. Once I had laid on the bed I changed my mind, told them to stop and tried to get away from them. They did it anyway (which is a good thing, I'm slowly coming to realise!) and I just remember my brain starting to tick over like when you're dreaming and then being woken up by a nurse.

I had been so worried about the anaesthetic that I had not prepared myself at all for what my body / mouth would feel like afterwards. It wasn't so much as pain, but my mouth was so inflamed / scarred / broken that for a few days afterwards I couldn't talk, I had bruising on my chin, I couldn't eat much and I was upset and in shock when the 'happy' drugs they had given me started to ware off. There were two days where I cried a lot more and couldn't stop thinking about what I'd been through.

I felt awful - but by Sunday (4 days later) I pretty much felt fit as a fiddle in myself. People had always told me your mouth heals really fast, but I never knew it could heal that fast. Soon I was able to eat most things, the swelling had gone down and I could finally talk - hooray!

It is now 9 days after the surgery, and I'm 100% back to normal. The whole experience was really horrible to the point where I really regretted my decision, but the recovery has been so quick that it actually makes it all worth it. I have already noticed a difference in how I smile, how my teeth are shifting round and how I feel about them. I can't wait until May when I get to have a brace put on, for the first time in my life I am going to have teeth that are healthy and that I am proud of.

In recovery everyone has been amazingly supportive and nice to me. I have received many lovely texts and messages, as well as a bunch of flowers and a lot of chocolate which I could melt on my tongue. It has really shown me how many people around me care about me, and it really made all the difference to making a hard experience more bearable.

AlthoughI don't ever want to have surgery again, if I ever had to for my health then I am now prepared and know what to expect. I see this as adding to my list of experiences which I can draw on in the future. 2014 is my year of change, and the year that I am not controlled by fear or anxiety. This is just another step on my way to creating myself.

 Watching:
 Once Upon a Time Series 3
  Listening: -
 Reading: Eats Shoots and Leaves
 Looking Forward To: Handing in my final uni project!
 Feeling: Good :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jas! That's so brave of you and a really good decision! I never noticed before if I'm honest but it does sound like you could have ended up with a bit of a painful problem otherwise. Glad you have made a great recovery!

    Love, Lou xo
    Bluebird | Beauty and life blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! I do hope it will be worth it :) x

      Delete