Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Book Review - Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

When I bought this book last week, I was really excited to get stuck in. The book combines old photographs within it's pages that compliment the story, and I found this added a whole lot of depth to the story. It was extremely engaging, and I read the whole thing in a few days without really trying, it keeps you hooked from the first to the last page.

Being a student of photography, I was prepared to be very critical about the photos used in the book and skeptical over their authenticity and use. I found that it was less about how 'real' the photos were and more about how they illustrated the story. Quite a few times I did think 'it's kind of obvious that the author found picked some old photos and tried to make a narrative with them' but I'm prepared to give the author artistic licence because I really did find that it made the reading experience a lot more fun.

That being said, I did find one aspect pretty disappointing. The book was in the 'dark fantasy and horror' section of Waterstones, and the cover and blurb highly suggested that this book would be in the thriller kind of genre. However, it's not. At all, really! I'm a terrible scaredey cat when it comes to anything remotely scary, and this story is sweet and heartwarming and not really scary in any way. I did feel like I was more reading a book aimed at younger teenagers more than for adults or young adults. The language was pretty basic, and at times I found myself craving more of a depth to the characters, and more of an insight into how they were feeling.

All this being said, I did really enjoy this book. I was expecting a good scare and some classical gothic literature to dig my teeth into, but instead I got a lovely and sweet novel that I could just get some escapism in for a couple of  days!

 Watching:
PsychoSoprano's Youtube
  Listening: Miley Cyrus
 Reading: -
 Looking Forward To: Seeing Jack!
 Feeling: Tired but content.

3 comments:

  1. love!
    xx
    daniella
    simplybeautifulelegant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there lovely blog owner! I just wanted to drop by and say I felt exactly the same about Mrs. Peregrine's. I considered the first pages and the attack on his grandfather to be quite a higher level of "horror" than the rest of the book which becomes a mellower, slightly predictable and under-performing novel. The scene is set for a great horror story and it lacks a bit in the end. Hopefully the upcoming novels step up the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound interesting - will have to have a look in Waterstones! Thank you Jas!

    Love, Lou x
    Bluebird | Beauty and life blog

    ReplyDelete