Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Hugs in a Bowl - Easy Meatballs and Spaghetti

Recently I have been getting more and more into cooking and baking. I will be moving out hopefully at the end of this year, and I want to be able to eat healthily, economically and yummilly (not a word, but who cares!). As a student, I have eaten my fair share of pasta in tomato sauce over the last three years, but recently (inspired by Lorna) I have been trying out a new recipe which costs absolute pennies per meal and is the most comforting and delicious pasta dish I have ever tasted.


This little post is a bit of a 'how-to' so I will be posting the different steps I take to make it. It is super-duper easy, and very cheap to make. In this recipe I will be using beef meatballs, but you can easily replace them with german salami instead as that is just pretty damn awesome too!

Ingredients:

  • Brown Pasta
  • 1 Tin of Tomatoes
  • Ready Made Meatballs or German Salami
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Mixed Herbs
This meal costs approximately £1.15 per head if made with meatballs and approximately £0.50 per head if made with Salami - so this is perfect for students.... or anyone!


Firstly - making the sauce. It's literally as simple as pouring some tinned tomatoes into a blender and adding salt, pepper and mixed herbs into the mix until it fits your taste palette. You do not not have to blend the tomatoes, feel free to keep them chunky if that is what you like. You can also chuck any vegetables into the blender too. Great for sneaking vegetables into kids food.



You can keep the sauce very simple - I usually do as I just love how this tastes. But you can really go wild and experiment with this step!


One tin of tomatoes will serve about 4 meals. Usually I am only cooking for two people, so the remainder of the sauce goes straight into some tupperware and into the fridge to be used on another day of the week. The sauce is very versatile - it can be used for things like pizza sauce as well as pasta. The possibilites are endless.


Place the meatballs evenly spaced on an oven tray, and cook for 20-22 minutes at 190c or until they are cooked through thoroughly. You can of course use homemade meatballs (coming soon!), and you can cook them on the hob in the sauce - I'm just like to know that my meat is thoroughly cooked through. This is also when you need to put the spaghetti into boiling water for 10-15 minutes or until cooked nicely.



In the last few minutes warm the tomato sauce in another saucepan, drain the pasta and VOILA!
Put it all together, and you have a super delicious meal.


This is definitely one of the staple meals in my house. Good quality meatballs as protein, tomatoes in the source for vitamins and fibre and finally pasta as carbs. Maybe next time I will even venture into making my own spicy meatballs for this recipe too :)

If anyone makes this, please let me know how you got on!

 Watching:
Samantha Who? & Big Ballet
  Listening: -
 Reading: Sabriel - Garth Nix
 Looking Forward To: Finishing university
 Feeling: Tired but happy :)

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, these look lovely! I love pasta so much so will have to give this a try - thanks Jas!
    Love the new banner as well, you have such a talent!

    Love, Lou xx
    http://bluebird6.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pasta, such a comforting food <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious- nothing beats good old meatballs and spaghetti eh?

    Sharlotte | UK Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete