Saturday, 2 November 2013

The Making of Harry Potter

When I was seven years old, I sat on the top bunk of my friends bed while their mother told me she though I'd enjoy the Harry Potter book series. I told my mum, and she got hold of the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, and since then this magical world has become my home. As the new books where released I waited, and I adored. I remember my excitement when I heard they where making the first book into a film, and the many times that I watched it in the cinema with different people. I grew up with my role models being Harry, Ron and Hermione, and I used this magical world as a bit of an escape. The sheer amount of times that I've read or listened to these books, now aged 20, is a number I wouldn't even like to take a guess at. The words on the page are so familiar to me, and I can find myself picking up any book and any page and know immediately what's going on.


Last year Warner Brothers opened their studio doors to the public, and allowed people to tour around and visit the iconic sets and see a huge number of props that where used in the films, and located in the very place where they were filmed. Slowly over the last year or so many people that I know have toured around, I have never had the money to go and anxiety has stopped me going with most people or on my own. My friend Ellie are I where discussing how much we wanted to go (she had already been previously) on halloween, as they have some people dressed as death eaters, pumpkins in the great hall, and also various live displays. We decided to just bit the bullet and book it - if these tours had closed without me having the chance to see it then I would have been so upset. So yesterday, Halloween, we boarded our trains and took the two and a half hour journey to Watford in London and we arrived. I had not been this excited about something in a very long time.

On the way there, we stopped off for very yummy smelling pretzels at Clapham Junction.



I will warn you now that If you do not want any spoilers as to what is on the tour then do not continue reading!


Outside the studio they had a few of the giant chess pieces used in the first film on the obstacles before they get to the stone. This was just the start of our magical adventure. On collecting our tickets we gave a man collecting donations a handful of chocolate magic stars and he gave us a very cheery response. We then entered the studio and compared our hand sizes to Daniel Radcliffe's, Emma Watson's and Rupert Grint's. 

After a bit of food and a quick sneak peak around the gift shop, we started to queue for our tour. And here it begins.

First you are taken into a room with some thin screens on the walls. It goes dark, someone introduces the tour, and on the screen appears an introduction on how J K Rowling's books became films. You are then let into a cinema, where a trailer for the tour starts led by Daniel, Emma and Rupert. You are shown clips from all the films and it really gets you excited to start. Then there is a surprise that I love - the screen rolls up to reveal the actual door to the great hall, and you then walk up to it. Someone says 'welcome to Hogwarts' and you are led straight in to the great hall in the movies.

You are then presented with the house tables, costumes and sets - we were now free to go through the tour as fast as we liked.


The wonderful door.






Butterbeer is so good. All through reading the books I wanted to have some. They only sell it two places in the world - here and Harry Potter at Universal Studios in America. It was beautiful. The frothy top part tasted like marshmallows and the actual drink tasted like a cross between cream soda and coke.













My personal favourite far of the tour, was walking into a room and seeing a HUGE full model of Hogwarts that was used in many of the shots in the films. Seeing it was like seeing my childhood and my home. It made me tear up just looking at the place that I had been dreaming of since I was seven years old.



On the train home I dared Ellie to eat all the bad flavours of the Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans we bought - she did, and she is therefore a hero.



Just to finish off this rather long post - me and Jack made pumpkins!

I would like to wish everyone a wonderful halloween and bonfire night :)

Jas x

6 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post. I am so jealous! It all looks amazing - and your friend is a champion for eating all the bad flavours of the Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there and it is AMAZING!! It looks like you had great fun :D
    Alice x
    missalicethecamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous right now, Jas! I have always wanted to go there! Hopefully someday I can make that happen. Like you I remember when I first picked up my Harry Potter book and how addicted I became and I cannot even tell you how many times I have read the books and watched the movies. I love love love and will always love Harry Potter. It is part of me forever. I am glad you had fun.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great place to visit! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you wore uniforms! Looks great fun and the drink sounds like heaven!

    I've tagged you http://bluebird6.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/sweater-weather-tag.html if your interested?
    Hope you are well,
    Love Lou x

    ReplyDelete