Thursday, 4 July 2013

Review: M.A.C Pro Longwear Foundation



Oh god, I know how many people have reviewed this foundation from MAC, but seeing as its my first venture into high end foundation and my first review I thought it would be a good idea. I would also like to look back on this review if I think about repurchasing in the future so I can remember what I thought about it. 

Now, as a student who is off for summer, I am not too hot on the money front at the moment. I purchased this foundation about 4 months ago in the shade NC15, on a whim in House of Fraser in Guildford one time because I was generally interested in whether it would make my skin any better. 

I have quite dry and sensitive skin, and foundations cake on my face so damn easily. I have tried moisturisers and primers in a few combinations but have found nothing that would give me that even lovely finish to my skin. The person on the MAC counter recommended Pro LongWear for my dry skin and put it on me in store. I liked it. I bought it. Yay. 

So it's been enough time now I think to write a review. This is from a noobs point of view. Like I say, I don't have the money to splash out on this kind of thing too often so it's literally from a first timers point of view. 

Packaging

When you buy this foundation it comes in a hardy black box which is pretty pro looking, and I have to say, it took a lot for me to throw it out because I was pretty proud to own it. The foundation itself is in a glass bottle with a black plastic lid that turns it so its either locked or unlocked. The glass packaging is nice, but gets dirty very quickly. Every time I put it in my makeup bag I wash it with cotton wool and make up remover so it doesn't go everywhere. I think it's a drawback of not having a lid.  The locking mechanism is not very strong either, so when I'm travelling I'm scared it will unlock and go everywhere too. Not very stable I would say. Now that all sounds very negative, but really, it's lovely packaging and I like having it stand with my collection. It looks professional and awesome. But, of course, the packaging is obviously just a small part of this foundation. I'm sure most people care more about the actual formula. 

Price

I bought this for £24 from House of Fraser. I know this is not much compared to a lot of foundations but its the most expensive one that I have ever bought. For me though it was worth it. I've had it for quite a long time now and it isn't showing any signs of running out. I also find that I don't need too much of the product everyday to archeive a nice result. For me it had been really worth it. 

Texture

The texture when you first put it on is very sticky and you need to work it into your skin fairly quickly before it settles to much. It has a shiny and sticky appearance. The coverage is probably a medium. It may mean to be 'dewy' but until you powder and set it its definitely more sticky. After you powder it however the finish is beautiful and coverage is perfect for me. 

Long Lasting

I was so skeptical about the long lasting claim as, because my skin is dry, no foundations last a long time. This one does however. I wouldn't say it's a miracle how long it lasts, but if I was going somewhere for the day I would have complete confidance that it would last perfectly. 

Breakouts...?

I have never had bad skin, and I never get any spots or blemishes. I read some reviews online before purchasing and a lot of people said it gave them a lot of bad breakouts. I thought to myself -"I've never even had a breakout, I doubt that this foundation will do anything negative to my skin". And it hasn't really done too much. I have acquired some blemishes on my chin which I have never had before and I blame the foundation. They're not bad however, and are easily manageable. Perhaps this foundation would not suit someone who has a problem with spots or acne. 

Overall I would give this foundation a strong 4/5 stars. I would and probably might, repurchase in the future although I think for now I might try and explore different brands. 

If you could recommend one foundation for me what would it be?

What is your favourite foundation?

Xo


4 comments:

  1. It looks really nice! I haven't tried a Mac foundation yet. I really like Benefit's Hello Flawless foundation for the summer! Great Post xx Rena

    Kiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rena! I really want to try that Benefit foundation. When this one runs out I think I will definitely try it out. xo

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried the Mac foundation but I really like the foundation from Rimmel

    purple--flamingo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried this but only because I'm a huge cheep-o! Since we are different skin types (mines being oily) I'm unsure if it will work for me, but I might give it a go :)

    xoxo -B ♡
    http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete