Friday, 5 July 2013

Life Lessons and Why Art is A bit sucky

This week I had someone I did some photography work for really tell me what they thought of me. They were not happy with the final result (despite it being exactly what they had asked for and like everything else in my portfolio), and instead of doing the right thing and approaching it rationally, they decided to hound me on facebook for an hour telling every detail how my work sucked and that basically I should stop doing it at all. Said person is since blocked, but it has left me really quite shaken and upset. At first I never wanted to take on any commissions again, but it's been a few days now and I know that I will do more commissions, I will just give myself a break. Being in the arts is tough because everything relies on someone's opinion and not on whether or not it is right. When you get something wrong in someone else's eyes, it's not like it's your knowledge on a subject that can be knocked (as that can be re-learnt), but is directly hitting your creativity which is the part you love, hate, rely on and nurture.

Things I need to remember:

  • Not everyone will like your work. If all art was the same and everyone thought the same thing it would be very boring. Would it even count as art? No one would stand out.
  • I have full control over the images I give out to people. No one ever has to see a picture if I don't want them to. Ever. Seriously it's up to me.
  • I don't have to take crap from people. If they want something they can ask, but I will never be hassled. No one is going to bully me.
  • Some people are idiots.

Since that day though I have given other people their own images and they have emailed me saying 'we think they are amazing, thank you', which proves my point that everyone is different. One of the hardest things being in this industry, especially for a perfectionist like me, is to learn that some people will not like your work. I am going to see this as good and necessary life experience. It is hard but worth it.

2 comments:

  1. It's cool that you are trying not to let it get to you. Your photos are very cool :)

    Rachel is Elsewhere

    ReplyDelete