Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Barry M Gelly Nail Paint Review



I had a mini (very mini) haul from Superdrug, who are currently doing an offer for 3 for 2 on any kind of nail varnish. You can mix and match all the brands! I was originally only going to buy one, but I could not just ignore the offer, could I? From the Barry M Gelly collection I purchased Prickly Pear and Blood Orange. I've heard some interesting things about this nail varnish, and I was eager to just get stuck right in and give it a go.

First of all - I love the packaging. It's pretty similar to the classic Nail Paint bottles, but with a silver shiny lid and silver writing on the front. It's simple, classy and easy to use. The brush is pretty thin which can mean application can take a little while, but it's also really precise so for me (I'm bad at painting my left hand) it's pretty much perfect. The summer colour range is gorgeous. I am so totally in love with all of the colours, especially the two that I purchased.

When I first applied the starting coat of Prickly pear I was a teeny bit disappointed because it was a bit sheer and watery and I was hoping for something really highly pigmented. After the second coat however, the colour begins to pop. I would say that to get a proper full coverage you should go for three coats, but for me I'll probably just stick with two of them. The Blood Orange colour was perfect after one coat, so I think it just depends on the colour you go for. When it's all done though the effect is really beautiful. I have had proper gel nails before, with the little UV lamp thing, and these look pretty much as good as them apart from I prefer these colours and ease of use. They are super shiny and the texture is really smooth like you've had a complete manicure. It's really shiny! Soon after I first used it I was annoyed that I had done it before I'd had a bath, but even though the nail varnish was pretty fresh applied it stayed on beautifully. After almost a week of wear, there were no chips and it still pretty much looked perfect. The only imperfections where where my nails themselves had peeled and broken slightly.

These are a perfect addition to my growing nail varnish collection, and I am so glad that I took the bull by the horns and actually bought them for myself! You may be thinking - hmmm 3 for 2? What other one did you buy? I actually bought a NYC nail varnish in Blue Sky as recommended by Fleur De Force on her blog, so I'm really excited to try that out too. It's pretty much the signature colour of Tiffany's jewellery.

10 comments:

  1. I love these nail paints! You should try the blueberry colour...amazing!

    Best Lip Balm Ever?!? Check out my post...
    http://thesecretblogger-2011.blogspot.co.uk/

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely look into that! Thanks very much xo

      Delete
  2. I love the prickly pear! Such a gorgeous tone and can always add a feminine touch.

    Lovely read, following now :) x

    Http://yourteendiaries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. Thanks very much <3 x

      Delete
  3. I love prickly pear, I'm a sucker for purple polishes and it's such a gorgeous shade! Love your blog, I'm your newest Bloglovin' follower :) x

    Alavish.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may just be my new favourite! Thanks very much :D
      x

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love that purple !

    xoxo,
    little-chaka.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try gel polishes because everyone says they last a long time, do you have to apply a base coat and topcoat with gel nails?

    xoxo -B ♡ http://msberrystylish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With actual gel nails you do, but with these one's it's up to you. When I used the purple colour in this I did not use a base/top coat at all :) x

      Delete